RHS flower show Tatton

I've always wanted to go to an RHS flower show and watch the week long coverage of Chelsea every year.  Tatton Park in Cheshire is only about an hour from here in Chapel en le Frith and where I used to live in Hadfield (another Derbyshire village)  So again every year I've wanted to go. But as it's usually the weekend schools break up I've been too knackered after a year of teaching or I've been  taking the children on holiday and the places they wanted to go to never included walking round garden shows!!
But this year time is my own...(still revelling in this) so I went with a friend who shares the same passion for gardening that I do.  We chose to go on a Friday not a Saturday as neither of us are limited by the working week anymore!!
 Loved every minute  even the tickets were really pretty.




as I walked from stand to stand, admired new plants and viewed show gardens it was a feast for the senses Here are some of my photos (I could have taken more, but very soon became loaded up with shopping!!)

Loved this garden, it was a' bee friendly' garden and crammed with bee friendly plants....so simple anyone could do it.



I always love these, pictures/scenes made from bedding plants and lots of sedums...gorgeous and very clever

loved peeking through the wrought iron gates at the cobbled paths and simple planting (like finding a secret garden)



one of the many water gardens featured, this was stunning, loved the grasses contrasted with the heuchera in the foreground.Would love something like this in my garden, but besides the expense, it takes a lot to maintain, keeping it clear of duckweed etc.





My favourite garden seen from different angles. It was called the 'perrenial legacy', won a Gold and best in show.  Love the fact that it uses Perrenials as that's what I'm trying to stick to, as I plan my garden (things that come up year on year and generally I can propogate, by seeds or splitting) as this is very cost effective and as I get older... I'll be able to maintain it.

Loved it and spent ages drinking it in from every angle...  very country cottage which is the style I'm trying to imitate. 
                                                
Two plants I bought at the RHS show both doing well  a penstemon and my first foray into grasses. (Hordeum Jubatum)seen with my first hostas in the background. This was difficult to photograph as it was doing what it's best at blowing in the breeze. The seed heads are not only pretty but also wonderfully soft to touch...very tactile plant and I'm delighted with it.
Looking forward to a big clump by next year and propogating the seed all over my garden.


And finally the beginnings of my own cottage garden...RHS standard next year!



All in all a good day, although glad I brought a packed lunch as only one refreshment spot in the show area (outside), with limited seating. You have to go back to the house if you want to eat indoors (a bit remiss of Tatton as weather wasn't brilliant on Friday, rained in the afternoon)  Despite this will definitely be attending next year as I found it excellent value for money including the free shuttle service to and from the car parks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking Forward ...life goes on.

Chitting potatoes

A year later...